This article is a guest post from Mel from Fully Well By Mel. I have it on good authority that this is absolutely delicious and it’s one that I can’t wait to try!
I always have this inner turmoil when I want to incorporate bacon in a recipe. I feel like its sacrilege to have bacon share the limelight with other ingredients. Because let’s be honest, bacon never needs a wingman. It’s just so annoyingly delicious and crispy all by itself.
But after back-and-forthing for about 30 seconds, I decided to teach bacon that it doesn’t always have to take centre stage. A lesson on humility if you will.
And Zucchini being a modest fella, embraced the opportunity to marry bacon for the sake of this delicious loaf. Let me tell you, it was a glorious wedding to say the least. The reception was all the rage.
Make sure to choose your bacon wisely though. Check the ingredients to make sure there isn’t a load of added stuff that won’t do your body any good. Sugar, preservatives and nitrates are all common ingredients that are added. The less of these, the better.
I used coconut and almond flour for this recipe so the loaf is a little crumbly yet moist from the bacon. It’s strange but it’s true. Although it didn’t need any spread, butter did go very well with it. I also tried it with peanut butter, because you know, peanut butter. Similar story to the bacon but let’s not get me started.
This is a great breakfast bread and works well toasted to dip in soups too.
Side note: depending on the fattiness of your bacon, your loaf may come out more or less moist and the cooking time may be different. Just be a good little baker and put that cake tester to good use. If it pulls out with some batter attached then it probably needs a few more minutes.
EEEEENNNJOOOYYY friends 😀
PCOS Friendly Bacon Zucchini Loaf
Makes 1 Loaf
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 strips bacon, diced + 1 strip for the top
- 1 cup grated zucchini + a few slices for top
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 360F / 180C and grease loaf tin
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients (excluding the bacon, zucchini and parsley)
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well
- Mix in the bacon, grated zucchini and parsley
- Pour batter into loaf tin and decorate with a strip of bacon and zucchini slices
- Bake for +- 55 minutes or until cake tester pulls out clean